Saturday, November 2, 2013

Luscious Leaves

Apples has been relishing the wonderful range of edible leaves produced by our garden this week. It started when she helped me harvest this huge bowl of lettuce and herbs that we used to make rice paper rolls for dinner last weekend. If you look closely you might be able to see cos lettuce, chives, garlic chives, mint and basil. So delicious!!!


Apples helped me prepare them for the table too - picking the leaves from the stems, washing them and drying them. During this she discovered "the most perfect basil leaf ever!"  I have to agree, it did look pretty beautiful. 


Apples enjoyed the leaves so much that I reminded her that she can go out and pick some leaves to eat any time she wants. She makes her own lunch every day so the next morning I was thrilled to see her making her usual vegemite sandwich much more special with some lettuce (cut carefully into strips to "fit the bread") and herbs - parsley, mint and a few shreds of leftover chopped basil. I'm sure her sanger that day was much more interesting and delicious than usual!


It's wonderful to see my little girl taking so much joy from what we grow, and learning about health and happiness in the process!

- MotherHen

No comments:

Post a Comment